News

Recent grad chose pharmacy for the diverse opportunities

“I went to college with my sights set on being a dentist,” said Dr. Mallory Moore ’17.

“However, during my junior year I decided to explore pharmacy a little more.”

Moore volunteered that summer in the pharmacy at the VA Medical Center in Durham, N.C.

“I was so fortunate to have met one of the program directors there who let me shadow different pharmacists throughout the center,” she said.

Moore shadowed a geriatric, ambulatory, and critical care pharmacist, in addition to the pharmacists in the main pharmacy.

“I had no idea pharmacists could have all these different roles,” she said. “It was a very eye-opening experience, and from there I knew this was the profession I wanted to be a part of.”

Professors with Diverse Backgrounds

When she came to the PC School of Pharmacy, Moore saw that her professors and mentors also served in different roles in their pharmacy careers.

“At PC School of Pharmacy there are great professors and mentors who come from a variety of practice settings,” she said.

“This allows for the student to explore numerous different options in terms of a career path and feel supported because, chances are, there is a faculty member who has already walked a similar road.”

And when she was a PC School of Pharmacy student, Moore knew she wanted to serve at least one year of residency.

“I was able to find mentors who would help me with my goal,” she said. “One of my mentors actually trained at the same place I did my PGY1, so it was really neat to walk those same halls that she did.”

A Focus on Service and Practical Education

“Part of the reason I chose PC for pharmacy school was their commitment to service,” Moore said.

“I wanted to make sure I gave back to the school while a student by dedicating myself to numerous organizations. I knew that being a bigger part of each organization would help me in some way in my career.”

Moore served as vice president of policy and advocacy within the American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists while a pharmacy student. Her experience in the organization then helped her receive the Mortar and Pestle service award when she graduated from pharmacy school.

Her experience also helped her in her role as a residency coordinator for Novant Health now.

“In my current role as an ambulatory care pharmacist practicing in North Carolina, policy is really what drives our scope of practice,” Moore said, “and advocacy is the force behind that drive.

“Therefore, I am still implementing tools I used in the APhaA-ASP role as a student to justify pharmacy services within my line of practice today.”

Become a Pharmacist 

If you want to become a pharmacist, you can learn at a School dedicated to service and from professors with diverse roles in the field of pharmacy. Please email or call 864-938-3913 to learn more about the PC School of Pharmacy.

NEWS ARCHIVES