Giuseppe Gumina, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Chair, Pharmaceutical and Administrative Sciences
Email Dr. Gumina
- Ph.D. Pharmaceutical Sciences (Medicinal Chemistry), University of Catania, Italy, 1998M.S. Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmaceutics, University of Catania, Italy, 1994
- Visiting Lecturer, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA, 2012-2013
- Associate Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, South University School of Pharmacy, 2007-2011
- Assistant Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, Medical University of South Carolina/South Carolina College of Pharmacy, 2003-2007
- Postdoctoral Associate, The University of Georgia, 1998-2003
- PHRM 6103 Principles of Pharmacology/Medicinal Chemistry
- MTM sequence
- Research interests:
- Nucleoside analogs as anticancer, antimicrobial, antiviral and cardioprotective agents.
- Carter, J.; Weaver, B. A.; Chiacchio, M. A.; Messersmith, A. R.; Lynch, W. E.; Feske, B. D.; Gumina, G. Synthesis, stereochemical characterization, and antimicrobial evaluation of a potentially non-nephrotoxic 3’-C-acethydrazide puromycin analog. Nucleosides, Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 2017, 36, 224-241.
- Bueno, A. B.; Alvarado, A.; Virga, K. G.; Gumina, G.; Romero–Sandoval, E. A.; Asbill, C. S. Title: The effects of JWH015 in cytokine secretion in primary human keratinocytes and fibroblasts and its suitability for topical/transdermal delivery. Mol. Pain 2017, 13, 1-16.
- Gumina, G.; Moracho, C.; Feske, B. D. Synthetic studies toward 3′-C-puromycin analogs. Chemical Data Collections 2016, 2, 49-55.
I am an avid runner and enjoy participating in local road races. I also enjoy weight training, hiking, canoeing, and any physical activity that involves long hours and sore muscles at the end of the day!