Giuseppe Gumina, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Assistant Director of Research
Email Dr. Gumina
- Ph.D. Pharmaceutical Sciences (Medicinal Chemistry), University of Catania, Italy, 1998M.S. Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmaceutics, University of Catania, Italy, 1994
- Visiting Lecturer, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA, 2012-2013
- Associate Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, South University School of Pharmacy, 2007-2011
- Assistant Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, Medical University of South Carolina/South Carolina College of Pharmacy, 2003-2007
- Postdoctoral Associate, The University of Georgia, 1998-2003
- PHRM 6103 Principles of Pharmacology/Medicinal Chemistry
- MTM sequence
- Research interests:
- Nucleoside analogs as anticancer, antimicrobial, antiviral and cardioprotective agents.
- Franz, S. E.; Watkins, R. R.; Wright, L. A.; Weaver, B. A.; Hartage, R. C.; Giviriga, I.; Gumina, G.; Feske, B. D. Synthetic strategy toward g-keto nitriles and their biocatalytic conversion to asymmetric g-lactones. Synthesis 2013, 45, 2171-2178.
- Casu, F.; Johnston, R. K.; Gumina, G. Synthesis of 2’-substituted inosine analogs via unusual masking of the 6-hydroxyl group. Nucleosides, Nucleotides and Nucleic Acids 2012, 31, 224-235.
- Barbosa, J. D. F.; Silva, V. B.; Machado, S. M. F.; Alves, P. B.; Gumina, G.; Santos, R. L. C.; Sousa, D. P.; Cavalcanti, S. C. H. Structure-activity relationships of eugenol derivatives against Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) larvae. Pest. Manag. Sci. 2012, 68, 1478-1483.
I am an avid runner and enjoy participating in local road races. I also enjoy weight training, hiking, canoeing, and any physical activity that involves long hours and sore muscles at the end of the day!